Sunday, July 29, 2007

More!

So i believe I left off with Friday... Well Friday evening came with TONS of rain, which is great for the Denver area, but actually made my travel to where my host family picks Suzanne and I up an interesting adventure! I found out that day that Suzanne hates thunder and lightning and I love it so everytime the thunder would clap or the lightning would illuminate the sky Suzanne would kind of jump and I would laugh! :) It was a great experience trecking through the downpour and the many puddles with her! By the time we got to the train station we were both drentched from head to toe! It reminded me of the time right before I left when my dad and I went running and when we started out it was not raining but looked kind of threatening and then by the time we got half way around the circle that we run it started raining and we were completely drenched by the time we got home, but we had fun with it!! :) [Love you dad!]
After Friday came Saturday, which brought about many events. We had our first Thai prep in which they told us a little about the places we were going. We are going to Puket and Nampong... Our travel day to Puket from the states will take approximately 27 hours and Nampong is actually a very small agricultural village in which very few homes have air conditioning! I am getting so excited for Thailand and I can hardly wait! After our Thai prep we went on another community impact day. We met up with Junior highschool students from around Colorado that are participating in a program called Leaders Challenge. We all were split up into smaller groups and went to different places around the Denver area and did a variety of things. I went to St. Francis, which is the only homeless shelter in the Denver area that is open all day. When we got there we were given a small tour of the facility and then began painting the walls to help give the place a more welcoming and pleasant feel. It was a lot of fun, especially getting the chance to connect with high school students who wanted to be helping their community and had the passion to make a difference. It was so awesome getting to know everyone! After the community impact project was finished and our day with UWP was done, Maria from Sweden invited me and a couple other girls to the Rockies vs. Dodgers game with her host dad! It was great, especially because Maria, Suzanne, and Kim had never been to a baseball game before, nor had they ever been in a stadium as big as Coors Stadium before!
Then today Suzanne and I went to the Japanese Dragon Boat races with our host parents!! Dragon boat races are where all these people pile into a long row boat shaped like a dragon and row together and try to beat the other team! Along with the boat races there were many booths about different Asian countries, and different performances from different cultures including Chinese Kung Fu (AMAZING)!!! So now you are all up to speed on what has been happening with me!! Also, you should all check out our cast blog at www.castc2007.com!!! It has bios of all the students traveling, information about the different community impact programs that we do, lots of pictures, and much much more!!! Also, I want to apologize for any spelling errors that I have along the way... but until next time... peace out!

No comments: